Advice From An Architect
Five design tips for Window replacement.
- Try to find original drawings or photographs that best depict the original design
- Fads come and go. Consider timeless style for finishes and colors, pick options that are appropriate and blend with surrounding materials.
- Understand performance classifications for windows published by the American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) and National American Fenestration Standards (NAFS) and how they relate to your building.
- Cold drafts are uncomfortable and energy loss is costly. Select windows that incorporate thermal barriers, double-pane, insulated glass and have been tested and certified by the American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA).
- Outdoor noise from wind, traffic, barking dogs, etc. can be very distracting. Select windows with good acoustical (sound-reduction) properties.