Common Code Violations – Asphalt Shingled Roofs
When we visit a job site to inspect an asphalt-shingled roof, we often see the same typical code violations:
- Flashing must be installed in such a manner as to prevent moisture entering the wall through the joints in the coping, through moisture-permeable materials, at the intersections with the roof plane, or at parapet wall penetrations.
- The code requires that, at a minimum, the number of fasteners required by the manufacturer must be followed. For a normal application, no less than 4 fasteners/strip shingle or 2 per individual shingle can be used.
- Asphalt strip shingles must have a minimum of 6 fasteners when:
- The basic design wind speed is 110 mph or greater and the eave height is greater than or equal to 20 feet.
- The basic wind speed is greater than or equal to 110 mph and the importance factor is 1.15.
- The basic wind speed is greater than or equal to 120 mph.